12/13/2005

Overwhelming Sunday

This past Sunday my father came for my graduation from college. It has been seven and a half years in the waiting. During the course of my studies at the University of Kansas I screwed around my frosh and soph years. My junior year I thought I knew what I wanted to do, Computer Science. While I was in the unknown stage of my vocational training, I had taken a geography course. Although never having taken a course in geography during my high school years, or primary years for that matter, I decided to change my major to geography. It came easily to me and I found that there were jobs that involved computers, which I am fairly adept at. I have since completed the requirements to obtain a geography degree.

About three years ago I met a young lady at a party that I decided to attend. It was just after Easter because some of my friends were having the First Annual Peeps Challenge. It involves eating as many Peeps as you can in a ten minute period. Peeps are those sugar coated marshmallow confections that come around Easter and Halloween. Well, I was at the Peeps Challenge and upon the conclusion, which invloved vomiting, we decided to head to this other party. This is where I met the woman which I want to spend the rest of my life with.

I am friends with some of the people that were having the party. My two roommates were in the Air Force ROTC program and knew one of the ladies that lived in the house. I was talking to someone that was near the keg and I overheard a girl say that she was Lutheran. I interupted her and asked her if she had said that she was Lutheran. She said that she did and was Lutheran. I began and continued talking to her throughout the night. She happened to be in my roommate's girlfriend's sorority.

It was towards the end of the spring semester and it was her frosh year at the university so she lived in the dorms. My roommates and I had a party a week or so later and I asked my roommate if he could ask his girlfriend to ask her to our party. She came and we began talking again. As the night grew to an end, I asked her if she would like to go on a date sometime. She accepted saying that she would go on one when school resumed in the fall. Over the summer, we exchanged a couple of emails. I thought that she was not that interested in dating me because there was not that much communication that occurred during the summer.

The summer passed and school began. I made sure that I got in touch with her and asked her out on a date. The first couple of dates, as with most first dates, we spent time getting to know each other. We continued dating and my fondness for her grew enormously. I asked her if we could be boyfriend and girlfriend. She agreed to it and I was so happy. I had never really dated seriously in high school or at any other time.

Move ahead to two years later. I have since acquired an engagement ring from a contest that a girl had at the university. She was engaged to a man and he broke it off with her. She felt that anything she bought with the money from the ring would be tainted, so she had a contest through the school newspaper to give the ring away. I won the contest and my girlfriend liked the ring.

So, this past Sunday, some of my friends and family attended my graduation dinner. I thanked everyone for attending and showing their support for me. I then said that I had a question to ask a special someone. I asked her to marry me and she said yes. I am so happy that I have found someone that I love and she loves me. There is nothing that I would not do for this woman because she believes in me and the things that I do.

Wow, that's a lot of writing for three in the morning. I'll try to keep things more up to date now that I will be done with school tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home